Thursday, June 26, 2008

Traumatic Thursday


This past week has been very traumatic for our sweet little Katie bug. Her hair has been cut a good 6-8 inches and her ears finally pierced. But the most traumatic of all would have to be today when we went to get her braces off and her new retainer. (Specially made half black and half orange with the New Orleans Saints symbol right in the middle.... so cool.)

It all started a couple of weeks ago when she had to be fitted for a retainer. You may think no big deal, after the torture of having braces for 2 1/2 years. But yes very big deal. First of all she didn't want to get them off because Kyler still had to keep his on. Then they put this putty stuff in her mouth in a mouth tray and made her keep it in there for a few minutes. Holy crap, you would have thought they stuck an entire watermelon in her mouth. The drama!!!

So then we went in today to get the braces off and to make sure her retainer fit. The whole time the dentist is putting it in and adjusting it she has this look of horror on her face. He keeps pushing it in and takin it out, pushing it in and taking it out. This process alone took about 30 minutes. For a second there I thought she was going to throw up all over him, punch him in the head or start bawling. But finally it was over. She comes over to me and has an emotional breakdown. Meanwhile Kyler is now in the chair getting his wire fixed and Katie getting over her crying spill, is standing there with her mouth open and gagging up a storm. Finally after all said and done they decide that Katie obviously has too strong of a gagging reflex and won't be able to wear the normal retainer. So now she has to get refitted again for a different kind of retainer... in goes the putty and here we go again. Poor baby, but I must say her teeth look very pretty. I wanted to do a before and after picture, but I just noticed in all of her pictures she has been smiling with her mouth closed. Oh how young vanity starts. And then I thought all of her traumas this week were all about how she looks on the outside. Good thing her beauty on the inside comes naturally to her.

On another traumatic note... Myke was driving to work today at about 5:30 in the morning, when a deer ran out in front of him. He slammed on his breaks and ended up hitting it's back legs. The poor thing was dragging himself across 134th south and into a field with it's front legs. If you know Myke at all, you know this is probably a little troubling to him. So he gets out of his car to go and look for it and finds it about 100 yards off behind a little bush. He doesn't know what to do so he calls 911. A sheriff comes out and shoots it to put it out of it's misery. Poor little deer and poor little Myke.

Oh well, I guess it's just one of those days when you look forward to tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful smile Katie! Love the new blog Amy, oh and the glittery Katie photo too!

Stephanie said...

let katie know we all hate the dentist and i threw up last year with that putty in my mouth... hehehe. well first i drooled then i threw up, it was awful. stupied putty.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I love your little saying too!

Jen said...

Katie I can't wait to see your new beautiful smile up close! It's nice when you finally get those brackets off. You should have thrown up on the dentist, that would have been your pay back for him making you gag!
Tell Mike I'm sorry. Not his fault. Deer just get confused by headlights.

Nicole said...

Oh Man, I don't know what to say. I feel so badly for Katie that she had such a terrible experience at the orthodontist. I guess you would think that Katie would be so happy to finally get her braces off and not care about the process of getting a retainer to fit. You must have been laughing a little inside. I wish I could see Katie's beautiful smile! I love the picture with the stars and hearts too. How did you do that?