Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Katie's Story




Katie is the girl of all girls. At this point in time I am thankful that I only have one, because I have to devote all of my girl-like qualities to her. (And I wasn't graced with too many)

Katie was born at 12:22 a.m. on September 7th 1998. She weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces and was 21 inches long. When she was born she looked nothing like I thought she would. I just assumed she would look like her brother, but she was quite the opposite of her brother from the start. She had a little round head full of dark hair and red skin. I even looked around to see if there was someone else giving birth in the room and they had switched the babies.

Katie was a very sweet baby. She loved to cuddle and just lay by us. She did cry a lot compared to Kyler, but after having more babies, I'm sure she was more of a normal baby. Katie also loved to swing. She ended up swinging in her infant swing until she was almost a year old. When she was almost 2 she learned how to swing herself on the swingset in the back yard. It was actually kind of amazing she taught herself that at such a young age, but she loved it. Katie also did this really funny thing where she would sit in our unfinished gas fireplace and underneath the kitchen cabinet. We don't know why she did this, but that phase lasted for awhile.

Katie used to like to play with my hands when I would lay her down for naps or for the night. She would hold my hand and squish them to soothe herself. It was kind of strange, but it would actually keep her awake longer because she just couldn't stop doing it. I remember saying to her all the time,"Katie, no hands, go to sleep". Then one day she just stopped doing it. I think that's sad ... now that I think back on it. She could also be a pretty big stinker too. I remember this one time she was banging the safety gate against the wall. I asked her to stop a couple of times and she kept doing it. Finally, I told her if she did it one more time, she was going to go to her room. She looked straight at me and did it again. So I got up to take her to her room and she started banging it against the wall as many times as she could before I got to her. I knew I was supposed to be discipling her, but I couldn't help but laugh.

She was and still is a very funny girl. I love being Katie's mom. I do feel that there are so many things to teach a young girl, especially these days, but I think she teaches me more than I teach her. I hope, if I keep practicing, I will be able to teach her the things that I think are necessary to get along in this world.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Katie is an awesome girl. I can't believe she's going to be 10. She is a good girl too. You did a good job teaching your kids. I love your kids.

Anonymous said...

So So So Cute...Love the post!

Nicole said...

She is such a beautiful girl! You do a great job raising her!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE