Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sleep... Finally!

Myke was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. The tests say that he quits breathing 129 times an hour (5 times is concerning) for at least 15 seconds at a time. Which means out of 3600 seconds in an hour he is only breathing for around 1660 of the seconds. Having youth on his side was his only hope. People die in their sleep from heart attacks and strokes caused by sleep apnea. Kind of crazy. This also explains his lack of energy, motivation, stamina and fun. It also explains his high blood pressure, hypertension and most of his other ailments. To get this taken care of is so exciting. It's been a long 4 weeks of tests, phone calls and worry.

To fix this problem he gets to wear this huge face mask hooked up to a machine every night (cpap=old man machine ha ha). He said it's like Darth Vader...I'm thinkin' Hannibal Lechter. I couldn't help but laugh when the nurse came over to show him how it worked and to fit it to him. Anyway, I'm super relieved he will not be dying in his sleep tonight.

I would post a picture, but that would probably be kind of rude he he.

No comments: