Tuesday, September 9, 2008

13 Years

It could sound like the title of a scary new thriller but no, it's the number of years Myke and I have been married. We could look at the 13th year as an unlucky year but I don't think either of us think the number 13 is an unlucky number. There were much scarier numbers like 6 and 7.

Myke and I met when we were 15. We got married when we were 19. It's funny how you think you are so smart when you're young. I've learned since then, I'm still not that smart. Life situations and circumstances have shown me that a lot. We have made some dumb decisions in our marriage, but there are some good ones we still pat ourselves on the back for. I think the best thing about knowing Myke so long is that we pretty much grew up together. Even though sometimes I wonder which one of us is pretending to be the grown up.

We most always get along well these days, we hardly ever fight and when we do it's often comical. We're best friends and we trust each other completely. We've always thought that a good sense of humor is the key to a good marriage. So during our rough years, I'm pretty sure, that's what we were lacking. Myke has taught me a lot of things like people don't always do what you want when you want and to relax, live in the now, and go with the flow, all of which are not in my nature but good things to understand.

We don't have a lot in common, unless you count breathing and living, but that's one of the things that work for us. Sometimes it's hard when we have to do things together like raise our kids, but we seem to be able to work it out in our own way. We have been told many times that our kids are great and well behaved. I just think, Damn, they better be we spend all our time and thoughts on those kids.

People also say we have such a good marriage, but I think we are just good at communicating and laughing at each other. There is no one else in this world who can piss me off or drive me crazy like Myke does. I'm sure he feels the same way. But I know you have to know the bad to be able to know the good. Myke does have a lot of good qualities. He's a very patient person and a wonderful dad. He always supports everything I say or do and he makes me laugh every day. He still has a lot to learn, but I'm a good teacher, eventually he'll get it all.

All in all life is good and we work hard at it. It's not always perfect and happy, but that's our main goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on #13!

Nicole said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Happy Anniversary. The two of you were meant to be together! What a perfect couple. So wise, so wise. :-)

Jen said...

That is soo cool! Happy 13, Amy you are so pretty, Myke ---I love the hat. You 2 are meant for each other!